POSITION: Teen Tech Center Coordinator (full-time M-F 10am-7pm, on-site)
LOCATION: Lancaster, CA
REPORTS TO: Program Director & Executive Director
PRIMARY FUNCTION OF TEEN TECH CENTER:
The Tech Center, established with the support of The Clubhouse Network, offers young people the opportunity to work on projects they find meaningful to their lives, using computers and technology. The program provides support and resources for young people to pursue their interests and build upon their talents. In the Teen Tech Center, youth can design their own music, art, newsletters, robots, science simulations, computer games, and animation.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities):
- Provide community outreach to involve a diverse group of young people, parents, teachers, and community leaders in the program.
- Help Teen Tech Center members develop projects (e.g., help them come up with ideas, gather materials, get started, locate mentors to work with them, and support their ongoing work).
- Recruit, train, and support Club staff and volunteer mentors, ensuring they work effectively with youth.
- Work closely with the local Best Buy store to recruit Geek Squad Agents and Blue Shirt volunteers.
- Support youth in planning for the future, including pursuing academic and job opportunities that leverage their Teen Tech Center skills and experience.
- Provide basic computer maintenance, including file management, trouble-shooting, and technical support to Teen Tech Center youth and mentors.
- Provide administrative support for the Clubhouse program, including keeping records of participants, tech use and keeping the Tech Center space organized and secure.
- Assist in AVBGC fund-raising and publicity for the Best Buy Tech Center, communicating the Clubhouse learning philosophy, goals, and results to external sources.
- Participate in The Clubhouse Network, attending Network meetings, sharing ideas and issues, and supporting collaborative projects across sites.
- Support other programs and activities for AVBGC with Teen Tech Center expertise and resources, as time permits.
- Leverage Best Buy National Partner relationships to expose members to skill development and media training.
- Assist in other areas as needed.
- Develop commitment from members to ensure active participation in Programs and Activities.
- Empower members to be leaders through positive role modeling.
- Provide recognition to members through positive validations, healthy incentives, and affirmation on a regular basis.
- Team building mentality is exemplified in all work done.
- Positively influence and uplift members and other affiliates.
2. Desired Experience
- Proven track record working with youth, in particular young people from underserved neighborhoods.
- Work experience in an informal learning environment;
- Instructional Aide Qualified (Paraprofessional Test Required)
- Enthusiasm and patience for working with children and passion about education.
- Excellent student interaction skills in 1:1 and small group settings.
- Meet Staff Training requirements
- Demonstrated ability to reach out to youth, parents, educators, and community leaders.
- Interpersonal skills, including an ability to get along with people of diverse backgrounds and abilities and a talent for making people feel welcome and included.
- Must be able to listen to co-workers, parents, youth members, community, and other Boys & Girls Club affiliates while maintaining a professional relationship and positive representation of the Club at all times.
- Must be able to present important and relevant information and/or presentations through program facilitation, staff meetings or training's, and/or other Boys & Girls Club events.
- Must be able to write and compose clear, concise, accurate written documentation.
4. Supervision, & Safety
- Must be able to supervise up to 20 youth and keep members engaged and safe during program time.
- Ensure the safety standards are met by all members, at all times.
- Provide sound and reasonable discipline to youth members at necessary times through written documentation (i.e. citation), and/or parent phone call.
- Practice and constantly be aware of safe practices like Crisis Management, Emergency Preparedness, CPR, etc.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work space at all times.
Travel may be required to other Club facilities throughout the Antelope Valley, and/or training, events, recruitment and other business purposes. Mileage reimbursement would be provided for all approved business travel at the current CA rate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, kneel, stoop and use a keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to bend and lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate - high. Flexibility to working schedules may be required due to changing needs.
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, nor to be interpreted as, a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to this job.