Ethicon is recruiting for a Staff Embedded Software Engineer, located in either Cincinnati, Ohio or Santa Clara, California, with considerations to US based remote support.
Work location is flexible if approved by the Company except that position may not be performed remotely from Colorado.
Ethicon, part of the Johnson & Johnson Medical Devices Companies, has made meaningful contributions to surgery for more than 60 years from building the first sutures, to revolutionizing surgery with minimally invasive procedures. Our continuing dedication to Shape the Future of Surgery is built on our dedication to help address the world's most pressing health care issues and improve and save more lives. Through Ethicon's surgical technologies and solutions including sutures, staplers, energy devices, trocars and hemostats and our dedication to treat serious medical conditions like obesity and cancer worldwide, we deliver innovation to make a life-changing impact. For more information, visit .
The Staff Embedded Software Engineer is a key team member for our Advanced Imaging product pipeline, leading and conducting a wide range of assignments in collaboration with the team. This represents an excellent opportunity if you are excited by building transformational surgical capabilities and working in a multi-functional environment.Key Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, and validate hardware, embedded software, communication interfaces and image signal processing solutions for laparoscopic visualization and advanced imaging products and concepts.
- Develop technical requirements and architecture, collaborating with internal and external team members, that will support not just a product but a platform for long-term growth.
- Execute subsystem technical strategies and influence internal multi-functional teams to execute feasibility and product development efforts.
- Manage project and technical work you're doing to meet the goals of assigned projects
- Collaborate with external technology companies to integrate advanced imaging technologies into proprietary visualization platforms.
- Partner with external product development / manufacturing organizations in defining requirements, executing electronic and software subsystems, and launching new products.
- Establish and maintain strong, productive relationships and collaborations across internal, external, and partner organizations.
- Conducting and/or participating in technical design reviews of requirements, specifications, designs, etc.
- Contribute to all aspects of design control activities throughout the product lifecycle
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including product design/development or R&D experience is required. Demonstrated success developing device embedded software is also required.
- Significant experience turning user and system level requirements into hardware/software architecture, detailed designs, communication interfaces, software deliverables, etc. is required.
- Deep understanding of various embedded/system software design tools, operating systems and programming languages is required (e.g. Jira, Jama, Linux, Qt, C/C++/C#, JSON-RPC, Python, etc.).
- Direct experience with driver and application development for various communications technologies is preferred (e.g. Ethernet [DDS], USB, I2C, etc.).
- Direct experience working across company and organizational boundaries, in many cases without direct authority, to build relationships, define mutual goals, and collaborate to meet objectives is required.
- Direct experience building prototypes, products, and systems for testing; along with setting up and running laboratory simulations is required.
- Detailed understanding of industry standard full-lifecycle software development is required, with a strong preference for direct experience in software development in medical devices.
- Direct experience developing surgical visualization camera control systems, including CMOS image sensors and LED/laser light sources, image signal processing is preferred.
- Understanding of surgical visualization, image sensors, frame-based image processing, and electronic interfacing of image data streams is preferred.
- Experience with machine learning/artificial intelligence and graphics processing using GPU is preferred.
- Experience with medical device or other regulated, high reliability industry development is preferred.
- Experience supporting verification and validation of medical devices or other high reliability products is preferred.
Domestic and international travel of up to 30%
- Integrity and behavior based on the Credo Ethical actions at all levels in the activities.
- Orientation to the Result: Pursues everything with direction and energy, focused on the final result, without fear to initiate the action without knowing all the facts, is committed to finish what starts.
- Relation: Warm, friendly and with interpersonal skills, accessible and easy to communicate. It relates well with all people, builds positive relationships.
- Flexibility and Adaptation to Change: Open to learning, is in continuous personal improvement, is aware of itself and the impact it generates on others, is receptive to feedback, is flexible, adapts to characteristics that demand different situations.
- Intellectual curiosity: Challenge to the status quo and search for creative solutions that can improve the way of doing things. see the possibilities; willing to experiment; pursue new ideas; pleasant with ambiguity and uncertainty.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to be part of something great?
Don't forget to apply. We want you!
Johnson & Johnson is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.