Under close or moderate supervision, perform engineering duties in planning, designing, and directing civil engineering projects such as roadway design, railroads, airports, bridges, channels, pipelines, site development (such as residential subdivisions, retail, industrial, campuses and general commercial), drainage, and storm water, water and sewage systems as well as Hydrology Studies for all the above.
- Reasonable Accommodations Statement
- To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Analyze survey reports, maps, drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, or other topographical or geologic data such as soil composition, terrain, hydraulics and hydrological characteristics to plan and design project.
- Calculates cost, quantities, and labor to determine project feasibility based on analysis of collected data.
- Prepare reports, specifications, plans, construction schedules, environmental impact studies, and designs for projects. May also present public reports on topics such as bid proposals, deeds, or property and right-of-way descriptions.
- Inspect project sites to monitor progress and ensure conformance to engineering plans, design specifications, construction, safety, or sanitation standards.
- Compute load and grade requirements, water flow rates, or material stress factors to determine design specifications.
- Conduct studies of traffic patterns or environmental conditions to identify engineering problems and assess potential project impact.
- Uses computer assisted engineering and design software and equipment to plan and prepare engineering and design documents.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Conceptual Thinking - Ability to think in terms of abstract ideas, create concept layouts and often times think outside the box .
- Technical Aptitude - Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Safety Awareness - Ability to identify and correct conditions that affect employee safety.
- Judgment - The ability to formulate a sound decision using the available information.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word. Includes learning to negotiate settlement of differences without damaging relationships: applying effective questioning and listening techniques to determine other parties' positions in a direct and diplomatic manner.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely in the preparation and maintenance of occasionally confidential and sensitive records, files, and reports.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers' needs while following rules and regulations and company procedures.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Education: Bachelor's Degree (four-year college or technical school) Required, Field of Study: Civil Engineering. Certified Successfully pass E.I.T. examination, or be able to pass EIT exam within 12 months of employment: Required
- Experience: 2 - 4 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Computer Skills: Microsoft Office Suite, MicroStation, other design software. Proficiency in any hydrology software.
- Certifications & Licenses: EIT Certification
- Other Requirements: Reasoning Ability - Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Mathematical Skills - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference. and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Vision (Near, Distance, Peripheral, Depth) Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - hard hats, safety vests, safety boots, eye protection, other as tasks indicates WORK ENVIRONMENT Climate controlled office environments as well as outdoor field environments that include potential for heat or cold stress, work on or near highways and bodies of water, occasionally working from heights, rough terrain, in/near roadways and rail ways, and all-weather conditions.
- Climate controlled office environment as well as field work in all weather conditions.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the company may deem appropriate.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer:
Vaughn & Melton is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. V&M makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
V&M participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Learn more about the E-Verify program.
V&M is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. V&M is a drug-free workplace.
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor visas.
Our Pledge: We are committed to maintaining a diverse workforce and an inclusive work environment. V&M will not tolerate discrimination in employment, employment-related decisions, or in business dealings on the basis of race, color, ancestry, age, sex, sexual orientation, religion, disability, ethnicity, national origin, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, or any other legally protected status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to access job openings or apply for a job on this site as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by contacting your Human Resources Department at 865-546-5800.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAAA) are federal laws that require employers with 15 or more employees to not discriminate against applicants and individuals with disabilities and, when needed, to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees who are qualified for a job, with or without reasonable accommodations, so that they may perform the essential job duties of the position.
It is the policy of Vaughn & Melton Consulting Engineers to comply with all federal and state laws concerning the employment of persons with disabilities and to act in accordance with regulations and guidance issued by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Furthermore, it is the company policy not to discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities in regard to application procedures, hiring, advancement, discharge, compensation, training or other terms, conditions and privileges of employment.