You have the unique talent of explaining, in plain language, technology to nontechnical collaborators. You know how to peel back the mystery of the user story, using your extensive knowledge of functional requirements. Your diplomatic and respectful approach to business analysis helps shift the focus from simply writing about requirements to talking about them. You enjoy the creative spark that comes with creating system requirements, templates, and diagrams. You truly delight in bridging the gap between the business subject matter experts and technology!
If this sounds like you, please read on!
The Business Analyst is accountable for executing comprehensive requirements elicitation processes leveraging the appropriate tools identified for assigned projects which may include interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, storyboards, context diagrams, surveys, business process analysis, user scenarios and task and workflow analysis. This also includes representing requirements using alternative views, such as visual analysis models (diagrams), prototypes or simulations, where appropriate. The resulting end user requirements in the form of epics, features and user stories with acceptance criteria will be used by project teams for verification and implementation. Additionally, the role will create documentation such as use cases; business process maps; glossaries; data mapping documentation; etc. as inputs for functional and non-functional specifications for use by technology resources.
This role ensures information is specified in an appropriate level of detail and in appropriate forms suitable for different audiences and solution development needs. The Business Analyst creates and maintains requirements traceability documentation while tracking requirements status throughout the project life cycle, including managing changes to baselined requirements through effective and appropriate application of change control processes and tools. Additionally, the Business Analyst verifies that the technical implementation of the user stories satisfies the acceptance criteria, therefore meeting the business requirements. The Business Analyst works with the quality assurance department to support the planning, execution and monitoring of quality assurance and user acceptance testing functions for identified solutions; these functions may include but are not limited to test planning, case creation, execution, defect management and resolution as well as release planning, support and validation. Throughout the project life cycle, this role partners with technology resources such as solution architects, technical leads, developers, UI/UX designers and cybersecurity specialists to provide input and guidance by serving as a business liaison and subject matter expert to ensure technical solutions meet business requirements.
Facilitates and leads meetings with business and technology units to elicit, define and analyze complex requirements in various formats ensuring they are testable, measurable and traceable.
Monitors, tracks and controls project requirements through project life cycle; responsible for working closely with the project manager to ensure scope management and control.
Prepares inputs to the development of project plans, project implementation and post-implementation support plans.
Collaborates with all levels of staff from technology and other business units to identify emerging enterprise project needs and opportunities.
Identifies project risks, issues, actions and decisions and documents and maintains them in enterprise project software.
Provides support to project manager and/or executes project management function for small projects.
Provides inputs to release planning, including deployment and rollback validation plans, and supports release execution and validation.
Creates training and support artifacts and facilitates training sessions as needed.
Works closely with PMO team members to build, document and model internal processes and procedures for enterprise-wide rollout and adoption.
Exemplifies the following essential values of the Academy:
Teamwork: Effective collaboration and team-focus to solve complex problems and drive innovation.
Empowerment: The authority, information, and skills to make decisions and drive results.
Accountability: Ownership of process and results that drive decisions and ensure implementation.
Mindset of Growth/Continuous Learning: Focused on and invested in self and staff development to become more adaptable, making the Academy more agile, innovative, and sustainable.
Up to 15 days per year
- Bachelor's Degree in business, information technology management, business, project management or similar.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in business requirements gathering, documentation and implementation (including development of use cases, test cases, workflow development, data mapping, etc.).
- IIBA or PMI-PBA certification.
- Proven experience creating business process, business requirements, user stories with acceptance criteria and specification-level detail documentation.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in a diverse business environment with demonstrated skills in supporting technology initiatives, project or program management, and systems design.
- Experience in a rapidly changing environment and ability to adapt to change while still maintaining a structured approach to program and project implementation.
- Experience with organizational change management.
- Experience in various project management and software development life cycle methodologies, including Waterfall and Agile.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to serve on multiple simultaneous projects and teams effectively.
- Ability to facilitate meetings, including, but not limited to status meetings, requirements sessions, sprints, management briefings, lessons learned and close out meetings.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups.
- Experience executing testing as part of unit testing, quality assurance or user acceptance testing.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products including Visio.
- Experience with providing and fostering quality work in a transparent environment.
- Experience with Microsoft Project Server.
- Experience using Azure DevOps.
- Experience using O365 based collaboration tools.
- Experience gathering and documenting reporting requirements.
- Experience with Personify, Protech, TIMSS, or other association management systems.
- Previous work experience with medical associations or not-for-profit organizations.
- Experience creating technical documents.
- Experience providing training to non-technical constituents.
- Basic understanding of data privacy rules.
If this describes YOU, please apply by sharing the following:
-Clearly communicate why you are the ideal candidate for this role, providing specific examples and experiences as proof points.
-Resumes must be accompanied by a cover letter with salary expectations to be considered.
This position is based in Rosemont, Illinois and is open to applicants who are able to commute to this office.
AAOS requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An applicant(i) who is disabled or who has a qualifying medical condition that contraindicates a COVID-19 vaccination, or (ii) who objects to being vaccinated on the basis of a sincerely held religious belief, observance or practice may request a reasonable accommodation. This determination will be made on a case-by-case basis and in accordance with applicable law and public health guidance. Any medical information concerning an applicant's disability will be treated as a confidential medical record in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Exemptions from the vaccine policy may also be provided to fully remote positions that do not involve any business travel or in-person work activities.